Sergeant
My garage: WC 1
WC53
WC 56
MB Jeep

Re: Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Post by jameshawke »

Hello Zeph,
You are way ahead of us and what you have done is looking first class. Our WC 15 is now crossing the 'Pond' and hopefully will be this side sometime early September. If you have finished the WC 16 by then, you are most welcome to lend a hand over here.
Best wishes , James
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

Is yours still 4 miles from my house? I can add another one to the container so its not lonely
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day all . Last year up at the QMJC Swap meet , In Queensland, Australia there was Peter Costanzo selling 2 x 1/2 ton dodge command cars . There was enough parts to make up a good one . I don,t know if he sold them , Ray
jameshawke
Sergeant
Sergeant
WC53
WC 56
MB Jeep

Post by jameshawke »

Re WC15. Hi Chester. Nice idea to add yours to the container, we could have collected it en route. My guess is that it is somewhere in the East Atlantic. Thanks for the thought, James.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

jameshawke wrote:Hello Zeph,
You are way ahead of us and what you have done is looking first class. Our WC 15 is now crossing the 'Pond' and hopefully will be this side sometime early September. If you have finished the WC 16 by then, you are most welcome to lend a hand over here.
Best wishes , James
lol. I wish I would have it completed by September. Likely a little beyond September is my guess. :lol: I would love to head over and help you out one of these days.

Take care,
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Had some time to dink around on the CC today. Cleaned up a few parts and Installed the rear axle housing:

I could not get this pin in for the life of me. I don't know why. It would not seat into the frame bore. Then when I tried to pull it out, I couldn't get it to pull out! Finally, after prying on it to align it for like an hour...and just about ready to give up, It finally aligned and seated.

Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

I finished up the front axle and leaf springs and installed. Then as I was bolting up the bumperettes to the frame it occurred to me that when I pulled it apart, there weren't any safety chain eye bolts. Anyone know if the 1/2 ton command cars came with safety chain eye bolts? I found an extra set I am thinking about installing. I just assumed that if a WWII Dodge had a pintle hitch that it would have safety chain eye bolts:

Thanks,
Zeph

jameshawke
Sergeant
Sergeant
WC53
WC 56
MB Jeep

Post by jameshawke »

It may be that early command cars did not have chain eyes, the WC15 does not have them either. Maybe they were added later when they found that towing trailers had issues. Excellent progress.......are you sure you you will not be completed by September!!!!! All good wishes, James.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

jameshawke wrote:It may be that early command cars did not have chain eyes, the WC15 does not have them either. Maybe they were added later when they found that towing trailers had issues. Excellent progress.......are you sure you you will not be completed by September!!!!! All good wishes, James.
Hi James,

I think you are correct. It just looks too factory in that all of the original bolts and markings match exactly as disassembled. Maybe after a few runaway trailers the safety chain eye bolts were born. I think I 'm going to go ahead and sandblast the eye bolts and install n place of the original bolts. I did find an original mounting bracket for the trailer socket receptacle, so I just need to find a good location for mounting that.

This September? You my good friend have a very high opinion of my abilities. :lol: MVPA convention Pleasanton, CA August 2016 is my chant!! Book your tickets now! :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Still moving along slowly on the CC. Installed the front bumper, etc... Although the frame hours weren't too bent up, it really took me a while to get all of the pieces to line up in order to get all of the bolts placed:

The bottom bumper plates were the most difficult for me to align. Maybe next time I may align the bottom plate first and then the top plates and tow hooks:

Ended up installing the safety chain eye bolts....just in case. :

I also installed the shocks. Basically to prolong getting started on the transmission and transfer case...which I have never done before. Hope I don't destroy them. If I can get those components completed, it's onto the body:

Zeph

mvdude
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mvdude »

Hey Zeph, Your work is amazing and top notch. How about taking a vacation to Panama City Beach for 3 months and working on my WC6? I never have time and you could finish it off probably in a month and then I could at least enjoy it. Free lodging 1 mile from the beach. What do you think ? Bob
Bob Stopka ( MVPA 3986 )
Phil H
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
My garage: VC-1 Command Car, WC-6 Command Car
M3A1 White Halftrack, WC-56 Command Car
GP Ford, , 1-Ton Nash Trailer, WC-22, WC-26, WC-11

Post by Phil H »

Looking good, great work.
Phil H
VC-1 Dodge #8640391 April 1940
WC-6 Dodge #8666165 ?? 1941
WC-11 Dodge #8676533 April 1941
WC-22 Dodge #81505598 Dec 1941 Sold
WC-26 Dodge #81512402 ?? 1941
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

mvdude wrote:Hey Zeph, Your work is amazing and top notch. How about taking a vacation to Panama City Beach for 3 months and working on my WC6? I never have time and you could finish it off probably in a month and then I could at least enjoy it. Free lodging 1 mile from the beach. What do you think ? Bob
Hi Bob,

Thank you. I'm just knocking off the easy stuff so far, the real meat and potatoes are coming up...that'll really slow the project down a bit. :?

The trip does sound appealing, however. Maybe one of these days.
Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Phil H wrote:Looking good, great work.
Phil H
Thank you Phil,

I'm hoping you post more photos so I can see what I really need to be doing next! 8) :)
Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Very happy to find out today that I have two good Dodge 1/2 ton radiators. Both have been hot tanked/cleaned and pressure tested so they are good to go. I figured I only need two. One for the Command Car and one for my Dodge WC22 project. I still have two other 1/2 ton radiators that will go into the boneyard:

Zeph